Brought to you by Arpin Van Lines
Moving coast to coast can sound intimidating at first, but you can make the process more manageable and cost-friendly with the right preparation. Given that finding a place to live can feel like you’ve spent a small fortune, it’s understandable to worry about the price of moving as well.
When you are ready to figure out the move’s nitty-gritty details, there are a few things you
should keep in mind.
Ways to Move
First, there are a couple of different ways you can get your belongings to their new location:
- Drive a Rental: this option is one of the cheapest options, but there are a few drawbacks, such as the responsibility being fully on you and the time it takes.
- Use a Professional Container: Someone else drives the container, of course, but you have to do the dirty work of loading the container with all of the things you want to bring with you.
- Hire Moving Company: This may be considered the most expensive of all the ways you can move, but it’s the most hands-off and quickest way.
Second, you have to take a look at the time and effort you are willing to spend on the move since it will ultimately influence your decision. As mentioned above, driving a rental may be the cheapest option, but it will require time and effort from you and anyone willing to help you. If time is of no consequence, that may be the best option.
If time is a significant factor in your move and needs to happen quickly, you can begin to look for the most affordable moving company to assist you. Start with reviewing potential cross country movers that are near you. Gather at least three cross country moving quotes in order to have something to compare.
Every family’s budget when it comes to moving is different, which is why you should explore all of the options available to you as you find the one that fits you the most. Moving prices can vary greatly based on factors such as the distance, the size of your original home, and the weight of the items you’re moving.
- Renting a truck could potentially run around $1,000 to $3,000. The price will depend on the size of the truck you need, any specialized equipment with it, and how many miles you’re going to move. Some companies will charge extra miles, so it’s important to review any of your cross country moving quotes.
- Using a storage container to move can cost around $1,500 to $5,000 depending on the size of the container and the distance you are moving. Since it does require someone to pick up the container, what makes it cheaper is the fact that you have to pack it yourself.
- Hiring a moving company to help you complete the process is the most expensive at around $2,000 to as high as $10,000. The distance and amount of items will be what sway the price of hiring someone to help you through this.
The key to obtaining the best price is to get cross country moving quotes from multiple companies and comparing them. The comparison will also help you make sure there are no hidden costs associated with whichever option you choose.
No matter how you are planning on moving, there are always ways to cut costs. Take some of these tips and tricks as a way to help you save
One of the easiest ways to save money on your move is to move fewer items. Hold a garage sale or donate items you no longer need in an attempt to alleviate the amount of items and their weight. If you find yourself moving with just a truck, less items will also save you time.
Find free supplies from friends and family, your community, and local retailers. Try to find as many boxes, tape, newspapers, and bubble wrap to help offset some of the costs of moving. It’s no secret that many people order online, therefore, it should not be too hard to find boxes to help you pack.
Sometimes you can better control the date of your move, which might make things more affordable. Certain times of the year, specifically April through September, are usually the busiest times for moving, and a lot of prices for trucks or moving companies can get higher. Try and move outside of those months, and avoid the weekends whenever possible.
Items such as books can get shipped through the USPS using their Media Mail, and though it might take longer to reach you, it can be cheaper. Try and use other such mailing services to ship your items to their destination without having to carry them yourself.
RLD Relocation is a proud agent of Arpin Van Lines. If you are moving internationally from Ohio, contact us today to help.